background

Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Piano Makeover

I grew up with a piano in my house. I started taking lessons at age 7 and continued into High School. I love playing!! It is such a beautiful instrument. Unfortunately for me, my sister (the oldest - shout out to younger siblings!) got to keep it, so I have been piano-less for years!

I decided to buy my very own piano that I could keep for hopefully a very long time! I found a steal on craigslist. This lady wanted to get rid of a 70 year old, one owner piano. She had 3 other people wanting it that day! Thanks to good ole Venmo - I sent her $50 that night so she would hold it for me. :)

Here it is:


I love the legs and the music stand! 

Although the wood finish is beautiful and classic, it's not my style. I had intentions to  paint whatever piano I bought.  Deciding what color was difficult, but I eventually settled with ivory because I knew it would be more timeless and practical than mint or blush pink.

Thanks to the invention of chalk paint - I didn't have to sand or prime it prior to painting. And for any of you who know - chalk paint is SO expensive!! I had heard there was a way to make it. I did a little research and then headed to lowes! 

I used Plaster of Paris mixed with a little water and some left over interior latex paint I had! It turned out great! 

I used 5 tablespoons of plaster of paris, 1.5 tablespoons of water, and about 2 cups of regular paint (color of your choice). I mixed the water and plaster until it was creamy, and then added the paint to the mix and stirred until it was blended well.  Ready, set, paint! 


 It surprising dried very fast, which was nice since it took me about 2-3 coats. I lightly sanded between each coat to give a smoother finish. I used a medium grit sand paper sponge. I like the sponges because they are easier to hold onto! 

Here is after the first coat: (lighting is weird)


It gave it a pretty cool distressed look, but wasn't what I was going for. I lightly sanded, mixed some more paint and kept going! I just used a small rubber handled brush. 

A few more coats and she's a beaut! Turned out gorgeous! 




I had to tape off the keys and pedals which was a little time consuming, but necessary. Very important step to finish! There was a very small space behind the keys that would look awful had I left it brown.  





After the 3rd coat was dry, I took my sand paper and gave the edges a nice rough up. I didn't go crazy.. just very subtle distressing. I would recommend 3 sandpaper sponges. I only used one and regretted not having any more!

Regardless, I was VERY pleased with the way the wood showed through and how I chose to reveal it.






VERY IMPORTANT!! Probably the MOST important step is using a FINISH after you are done! Chalk paint will scratch and flake very easily and it will also retain stains. So you MUST use a seal/finish. I use Minwax finishing wax with an old rag. I love the smoothness of the finish and how easy it is to use!


And there you have it my friends! Go go paint your own piano, or dresser, or whatever you want!! :) 

Hope you found this helpful. Feel free to leave comments and ask questions!

XOXO Bekah

1 comment:

  1. Great job Bekah; and I love the detailed instructions. I am going to try it on my old fashion cabinet! I'm not sure what color yet......

    ReplyDelete