background

Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Perpetual Buffet Hunt Comes to an End.

I have been wanting a buffet for my dining room for a year and a half now. The problem is I would need to harvest a few of my eggs in order to buy one. And with a mountain of student loans we're focused on tackling, it seemed to be a frivolous purchase.

Good ole craigslist can offer great prices on great pieces, but you gotta act FAST. If I had a dollar for every time I called to buy a buffet and it was already sold... I'd have enough money to buy myself a nice finished one!

Well, the Lord was upon me when I found this gem. I practically stole it and its in really good condition! And it was a total miracle that it hadn't been sold yet. I also made a really great DIY-er friend in the process! :)




I had a good number of people advise me NOT to paint it, and about the same amount telling me TO paint it. I debated for awhile, but it was just too harsh for our dining room and wasn't my style. I think I did a good job keeping the natural wood beauty but shaping it to my likin'.

After 3 coats of Valspar paint+primer, 1 wax seal, 1 wood stain coat for the top, and 1 antiquing glaze layer for the crevices, she turned out reallll nice.




More pictures. I love having extra display space! 













From start to finish took me about 4 hours. I bought it and finished it the same day. Haha. I'm one of those people who obsess and can't stop working until my masterpiece is complete. :)

Hooray! I learned a lot with this piece and I'm so happy how it turned out. So much so, I decided to keep it. :)

Do you have a buffet/sideboard in your house?

Enjoy!
 Bekah

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!! I think painting it was a great decision. It would have been too dark otherwise. I love how you styled it. I wish I could transform furniture that fast. I will be looking for a buffet like that when we move!!

    XO Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU!! I completely agree. It was a beautiful wood, but not for my home. :) This was the first time I styled it this way and I loved it so much it definitely won't be the last! Haha yeah I can't decide if it's a good thing or not.... Well be sure to look on CL in your new area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job! It's BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bek, another beautiful piece! I'm so glad you finally got what you were looking for, the curve is so stunning and the legs match your other pieces, like your piano.

    Can't wait until you can help me with my monster cabinet! He he!.... in all of your spare time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete