background

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wheelin and Dealin

This week has been In. Sane. Nathan and I have been busy planning for the wedding and trying to get as much done as we could before Thursday. Thursday was the day that I would no longer be useful to the rest of the world for a solid 5 - 7 days. Thursday, I got my wisdom teeth out.

It started when we said good-bye to Jena and Grahm Wednesday night. We went into their tiny one bedroom apt to say good bye around 11:15pm after driving back from Ponca City to meet with a caterer. I told myself to keep it together. So did Nathan. There was pressure. I walked in, saw all the boxes in the room, and literally almost lost in right then and there. Fortunately I managed to hold it together until we got back to nathan's apt. I sat on the bed and started bawling; all the emotions finally came tumbling out.
"What's wrong, babe?"
"Sniff, sniff, I'm dying tomorrow morning, sniff, and so is JENA!! boooo hoooo"
"Babe, no one is dying. You need to relax about your surgery, and be happy for Jena and Grahm! This is good for them."
He made me feel a little better, but the crying didn't stop. Eventually I fell asleep while praying that I wouldn't die during my surgery.

Day 1: Surgery Day
I walked into the operating room, laid down in the chair. The nurse hooked all the equipment up to me and Dr. Sullivan administered the IV, which went surprisingly well. I warmed him about my past experience with needles in my veins where I started hyperventilating and crying uncontrollably, but apparently my prayers worked because it wen't seriously smooth. She put the mask over my nose and told me to take deep breaths, and the last thing I remember was the Dr. saying, "don't be nervous, this is your happy hour!"
 Before I know it, Im in a wheel chair making my way to Nathan's jeep with a mouth full of gauze. And I am sooo out of it!  Of course he is videoing and taking pictures of me. This is me off the anesthesia:

During one of the videos, I explain what happened. I stated that after they hooked me up and I fell asleep, they were "wheelin and dealin". Professional dental terminology, obviously. We headed to Harry and Tiffs to get my soup and get well card that they made for me. It was so sweet of them! Tiffany's soup was soo yummy and it was basically the only thing I could eat and keep down... which leads to day 2.

Day 2: What goes down, must come up....
I woke up in excruciating pain at 5:00am. Nathan stayed at my apartment to take care of me :) I called him in the room for assistance because I needed some more pain pills to go back to sleep. So I tried to drink some water, and about 15 seconds later I was puking my guts up. We waited about 5 minutes and I drank 1/2 a cup of soup. That went smooth. Then I took my pain pills with water, laid my head down, and 15 seconds later I was vomiting again uncontrollably. At this point, I started crying because it hurt so bad and I was so weak. He held my hair back and rubbed my back while I dry heaved for the next 5 minutes. Then I slept.
This was me after I awoke, above. I only threw up one more time and I was feeling much better and holding food down by the end of the day.

Day 3: Chubby Bunny
By Saturday I was able to take a shower, eat mashed potatoes, and actually move around. I was making progress. One of my best friends, Ashley, came over and brought me soup, chocolate protein drink, itunes gift card, and some other goodies to make myself feel better. It was so sweet! My friends and family made me feel very loved during this time.

Day 4: Today
School starts tomorrow, and I am really not ready for it. Im actually kinda freaked out that I have to go back into that building for one more semester. I just want to be done. :( I am feeling much better, although still in some pain. My diet is still soup and soft things. Im really ready for that to change.

Overall, Im glad I didn't die. I came pretty close a few times, but because of my finace' and dearest friends/family, I pulled through. Im sad Jena and Grahm are gone, Im sad that school is starting, but Im more happy because I know that means I am closer to starting my actual life. We've got a wedding to plan, and diploma to grab, and then a life to happily live. :)

1 comment:

  1. :)
    Ha ha. I love this and your cute cheeks! I'm so sorry you've been in such pain, my love! I wish I was there to take care of you, but it sounds like Nathan is doing a great job! He's a keeper! I totally lost it after you left, so I'm glad I'm not the only one. So sad. BUTTTT we aren't dying and WE will be seeing you soon! :) End of Feb for my bday, sound good?!

    Love you. Good luck tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete